Over my career I found that turning ideas into real projects led me from strategy and innovation into giving advice on procurement. I've written a booklet called “Selling to government”- please click here to download a copy or use the index below to read it online.
The following top 10 tips give a flavour of what to expect:
- Understand the rules of the game (chapter 3)
- Get to know potential buyers (chapter 4 and 6) - good opportunities tend to be with organisations and people you know.
- Build a network of buyers, peers, and potential allies (chapter 6) - and understand what a buyer really wants
- Don’t wait for opportunities, create them (chapter 5) - shape the way the buyers think about & describe what they want.
- Have a consistent process for selecting opportunities (chapter 7)
- When the facts change re-evaluate (everywhere) - particularly the balance between the cost and value of winning
- Understand contractual options (chapters 12 and 13).
- Have a reuse library for building proposals (chapter 9)
- Create references from project completion reviews (chapter9)
- Build in downstream innovation (chapter 11)